Portland Urban Beekeepers is a non-profit organization of beekeepers that provides community, advocacy, and education for those interested in raising honey bees and supporting their presence in the environment.
PUB is an official chapter of the Oregon State Beekeepers Association.
PUB participates in the PNW Honey Bee Survey! Check back in March 2024 to report on your overwintering.
Monthly meetings are held the first Wednesday of the month from 7:00 – 9:00pm, mostly in-person, with occasional Zoom meetings. Meeting dates and times can be found on the PUB Calendar. Meeting announcements will be sent out to members via email a week before the meeting and we let people know on our Facebook page. Additionally, a link to the meeting can be found below.
Our meetings are open to members and non-members alike. We invite everyone to join our club and help us support the bees and beekeepers of the Portland area.
Meetings usually include: Pollen and nectar report, announcements and reports on local events or activities, Q&A sessions, and guest speakers on bee related topics such as: swarms, new beekeepers, disease prevention methods, general health of bees, types of hives, and preparing the colony for different seasons.
UPCOMING MEETING TOPICS:
Please join us for our January 2024 Members Meeting
- When: Wednesday February 7th @ 7PM
- Where: In-Person Only @ Multnomah Friends Meetinghouse, 4312 SE Stark St, Portland, OR 97215
Featured Speaker – Mandy Shaw & Ange Dunselman
Mandy will be speaking on swarming and swarm prevention and Ange will speak on the Asian Hornet.
Did you miss our previous meetings? Click the links below to watch now!
- January 2024: Queen rearing by Steve Gomes
- September 2023: Winter Preparation by Dewey Caron and Ryan Mcdonnough
- June 2023: Organic Beekeeping by Robyn Underwood
- April 2023: Varroa and Nutrition Management: Keys to Successful Beekeeping by Dr. Ramesh Sagili from OSU
- March 2023 Varroa Amitraz Resistance & USDA monitoring program by Frank Rinkevich, Research Entomologist for USDA
- February 2023 Small Hive Beetle by Susan Crook
- January 2023 Nosema by Brain Fackler
- October 2022 Xerces Society
Individual – $25
Still thinking about it but want to join our mailing list?
Membership includes but is not limited to:
- Use of group purchased equipment
- Swarm list registration
- Participation in group meeting raffles
- Free ads in PUB Classifieds
- Special group activities, events
- Access to club library
- Being a member of a great community of beekeepers in the Portland area
AFB/EFB Task Force
Portland and surrounding areas have recently seen cases of American Foulbrood (AFB) and European Foulbrood (EFB). In light of this, PUB created a specially trained task force that will come to your hives, perform an inspection, and conduct a field test if indicated. If your colonies are failing to thrive, have an odd odor or poor brood pattern, please click on this AFB/EFB survey and complete the form. Based on your ZIP code, a PUB inspector will come out and inspect your hive. If we use one or both of the field tests, we would ask for a donation to cover the cost of the test, which is $15 for one, or $30 for both tests. We will also leave the beekeeper with an AFB/EFB fact sheet. There are no laws in Oregon that stipulate reporting or specific remedies. This is strictly an educational endeavor. PUB has purchased the AFB/EFB field test kits in bulk, so if you do not want an inspection, but you want to purchase a field test, we can provide those for your use.